Station 58 White Lake Fire Chief Dale Brennan said the camper, located at 122 Marshburn Circle, was a complete loss.
Henry Bryant Edmonds of Efland was opening his camper for the first time this year, Brennan said. He placed a pot of water on the stove to warm, and went to speak to a relative in a neighboring trailer.
"He was walking away when the trailer exploded," Brennan said.
Edmonds was not injured, Brennan said. The explosion was apparently caused by a faulty gas line, which had deteriorated due to a leak in the roof.
Station 66 Bay Tree and Station 55 Elizabethtown were called for mutual aid, Brennan said, but were cancelled within minutes. White Lake firefighter Lee Cain was almost immediately on the scene and reported there was no fire.
Gas explosions often extinguish themselves without an extended fire.
Brennan praised campground owner Gray Marshburn, since lots in the facility are laid out in strict accordance with the town's building code.
"They have the correct setbacks and other requirements that make it a lot safer and easier for firemen to respond effectively," Brennan said.