ELIZABETHTOWN — On Wednesday, a 2-year-old girl died in a hot car in Gluckstadt, Miss., just north of Jackson, after not being dropped off at daycare in the morning. Her mother realized the child was in the car after trying to pick her daughter up from day care in the afternoon and being told the child was never dropped off.
“This incident occurred on May 11,” said Julie Kenneally, senior public relations associate for Safe Kids Worldwide. “As of May 11 last year, there had only been one heatstroke fatality. This year, we are already at six.”
Safe Kids Bladen County is working to ensure that no child is alone in a car, not even for a minute. They are participating in an education and awareness program that provides posters and tip sheets at childcare centers, doctor’s offices, hospitals, and police and fire stations.
Since 1998, more than 660 children across the United States have died from heatstroke while unattended in cars. Unfortunately, no one is immune to this kind of tragedy. Parents and caregivers can cut down the number of deaths and near misses by remembering to ACT.
A: Avoid heatstroke-related injury and death by never leaving your child alone in a car, not even for a minute. And make sure to keep your car locked when you’re not in it so kids don’t get in on their own.
C: Create reminders by putting something in the back of your car next to your child such as a briefcase, a purse or a cell phone that is needed at your final destination. This is especially important if you’re not following your normal routine.
T: Take action. If you see a child alone in a car, call 911. Emergency personnel want you to call. They are trained to respond to these situations. One call could save a life.
Safe Kids Bladen works to prevent unintentional childhood injury, the leading cause of death and disability to children. It is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global organization dedicated to preventing unintentional injury, the number one cause of death to children in the United States.
Additional prevention information can be found at www.safekids.org/heatstroke.