Electric motor sparks fire at Bladen County Courthouse


By Erin Smith - erinsmith@civitasmedia.com



ELIZABETHTOWN — A fire occurred in the Bladen County Courthouse boiler room located in the basement on Tuesday night just as a widespread power outage hit the county.

“We are not sure if it is tied in with the power outage last night or not. It all occurred at about the same time,” said Bladen County Emergency Management Director Bradley Kinlaw on Wednesday.

He said the fire was caused by an electrical motor that is part of the heating and air conditioning unit, said Kinlaw.

Units from the Elizabethtown Fire Department, Bladenboro Fire Department, White Lake Fire Department, Clarkton Fire Department and Dublin Fire Department all responded.

Kinlaw said on Wednesday, he did not have a dollar amount for the damages. He said county staff had removed the motor and were in the process of trying to locate a replacement.

By Erin Smith

erinsmith@civitasmedia.com

comments powered by Disqus